The Royal Lyceum Edinburgh is seeking to recruit a Head of Stage on a full-time, permanent basis.
The Lyceum Theatre is the largest producing theatre in Scotland and creates work all year round. We are looking for a Head of Stage to manage the stage department and oversee the production process, fit-up, running and strike of all shows while also maintaining Lyceum equipment and staging infrastructure.
The Head of Stage will manage a team of Stage technicians made up of two full-time, permanent staff and multiple casual staff, ensuring the smooth and safe running of the department and workspace. The Lyceum is an exciting and ambitious producing theatre and would be looking for a competent and enthusiastic person to join the team.
Does this sound like you?
When submitting your application please send us an updated CV as well as a covering letter setting out how your skills and experience meet the person specification below.
Please note that if you don’t feel you fit the essential criteria of the role but would still like to apply, we encourage you to do so with further information about why you’re a great fit. If you would like to apply through an alternative means, such as video or audio file, you’re welcome to do so.
To discuss the roles and interview process further, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Work with the creative teams and other technical departments to realise the productions Staging and Set requirements to the highest and safest standards.
- Produce costings for the Staging and Flying elements of productions and keep within budgets while delivering the design.
- Manage the design and build of on stage mechanical and motorised effects.
- Manage Get Ins, Fit ups and Get outs.
- Where necessary operate shows.
- To ensure a safe working environment during rehearsals, fit ups and performances.
- To prepare costing and work within budgets for all work, including overtime, additional labour etc.
- To attend meetings, technical rehearsals and dress rehearsals as necessary.
- To organise and recruit, where necessary, staffing for fitting up and operating shows.
- To supervise, schedule and develop the work of the department.
- Ensure appropriate training and induction is given to all technical staff.
- Process and deliver the timesheets for the Stage department to the Technical Manager.
- To be aware of and strive to maintain the wellbeing and mental health of the Staging department
- Maintenance of all rigging and staging equipment in the building including required inspections in conjunction with Buildings Manager.
- Assist with the installation and replacement of staging equipment within agreed production budgets.
- To comply with company Health and Safety policies and HSE standards and carry out risk assessments for all work
- To ensure that all creative teams, visiting companies and artists feel welcome, engaged and supported in the building and receive the highest level of technical support at all times.
- To actively seek out and help implement improvements in the way we work.
- Extensive experience of working in Staging for live theatre.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to manage large teams.
- Knowledge and commitment to Health and safety legislation and practices including LOLER, PUWER Working at height, etc. Confident in identifying and implementing safe working practices and undertaking and instructing Risk Assessments.
- Confident working at height.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills with an ability to work well under pressure.
- Strongly focused on good communication with the ability to form effective relationships across all company departments, with creatives and within own team.
- Full clean driving license.
- Awareness of ABBT’s Theatre Green Book guidelines and a commitment to pursuing a sustainable and carbon friendly way of working.
- Health and Safety Training
- First Aid Trained or a commitment to undergo training
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- 4% matched pension contributions
- Free tickets to press nights plus discounted ticket deals on certain performances.
- Cycle to work & Tech Schemes
- Discounts at various organisations such as Edinburgh Leisure
- Quarterly staff social events