In March 2018, The Lyceum will premiere a major new musical stage production of Local Hero, in co-production with The Old Vic. Our designers are looking to capture the look of Scotland in 1983 and have put out the call for the people of Scotland asking them to send in family snaps to help them build a picture of life in Scotland in the early eighties.
Get involved! Send us your 80s family pictures and help our designers create the Local Hero costumes.
In March 2018, The Lyceum will premiere a major new musical stage production of Local Hero, in co-production with The Old Vic (read more here). Our designers are looking to capture the look of Scotland in 1983 and have put out the call for the people of Scotland asking them to send in family snaps to help them build a picture of life in Scotland in the early eighties. Informal family pictures are perfect as they often contain several generations in every-day wear, so please dig out your old family snaps, take a picture of them and send them in. Deadline for entry is 7 January 2019.
For inspiration, here are Artistic Director David Greig, and musical legend Mark Knopfler in the 80s:
Please send your images to us along with your name and brief details about your picture including its location in Scotland.
If you would like to be entered into the prize draw, please also include your address and contact e-mail / telephone number. We will only use these to contact you about events at The Lyceum and to inform you about the outcome of the competition.
You can send them:
Via post* to:
Royal lyceum theatre Grindlay Street
Scan / photograph your pictures with your phone and send to:
with the subject line 80’s Heroes
Or post direct to:
- Instagram @lyceumedinburgh
- Twitter @lyceumtheatre
Terms and conditions
- *We will be unable to return a hard copies of images – these will be donated to the Scottish archives to form part of their records of everyday life in Scotland.
- You still own the copyright to any images you contribute to us and we will endeavour to publish your name alongside it if we reproduce it.
- If you submit an image, you agree to grant us a royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to publish and otherwise use the material in any way that we want, and in any media worldwide.
- Deadline for entry is 7 January 2019
Prize terms and conditions
- Prizes will be a family ticket for a family of up to 6 persons to see a final preview of local hero before the grand opening on Friday 22nd March 2019.
- Prizes are non-transferable, and no cash alternatives are available.
- The closing date for entries is 7 January 2019
- Winners will be picked at random from eligible entries.
- No correspondence will be entered into and submitted imaged sent by post cannot be returned.
- The Lyceum may re-allocate prizes if we are unable to contact selected winners. Please ensure that you provide the correct contact details.
- By entering into this competition it is deemed that you have read and understood these rules.