Sound Stage FAQs
What is Sound Stage?
Sound stage is a new platform for audio plays which brings the experience of attending a theatre online. Using audio streaming, online meeting and Zoom conferencing software to allow you to listen to the play, meet friends in the interval and join us to hear more about the show from writers, directors, casts or other guests after each show.
What do I need to listen to the Sound Stage shows?
To listen to the show you will need :
- A computer or laptop with speakers or headphones (you will still be able to listen to the performance on mobile browsers on most tablets/phones, but the virtual bar technology may not function correctly on these devices)
- An internet connection with a download speed of at least 3mbps (you can check your internet speed here). As a rough guide, if you can use Zoom you should be fine.
- We recommend using either Chrome or Firefox browsers which can be downloaded for Mac and PC for free by clicking on the links on the browser names to the left.
- You will also need to enter the email and password you used to book your tickets (there is a link on Sound Stage to reset your password if you have forgotten it - or see below)
- To mingle at the interval with video, your computer will need a web cam (but you can join without this for audio–only chat with other patrons if you have microphone and speakers)
- We have tested Sound Stage with most browsers – and most work, to mingle online at the interval you will need to download and use either Chrome or Firefox browser these are free, easy to install on Mac and Windows PC’s
- Post show talks will be hosted on Zoom – you do not need to download anything to make this work on Firefox or chrome – but if you choose you may install the Zoom app add link which can offer a more stable connection.
How do I access the show?
You will receive an e-mail on the day of the performance and a reminder an hour before the show with joining instructions and a link. You will need to enter the e-mail and password you used when booking to join the show.
I can’t remember my login details – Help!
No trouble – click on the 'my account' logo at the top of this page (see below image for reference.)
Then follow the link to reset your password – if you have any difficulties please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I enter the Bar pre-show and in the interval
- Click the link to enter the Bar
- Click Request browser permissions
- Click Allow for your webcam and microphone access. (You can mute and turn off once you’re in the room if you prefer.)
And that’s it. You’re in!
Now simply click on the screen to move yourself around the screen and meet other people.
There is a designated rendezvous point – so if you have arranged to meet people go there to find them
There is a designated “Help” area where a member of staff will be present to help
There is a “meet someone new” area – fancy meeting new theatre friends? – come and say hello!
Need a hand? Either go to the Help area and a member of staff will talk you through everything or Use the chat icon to talk to a member of staff
At the end of the interval, simply close the browser tab to leave the bar and return to Sound Stage – we will let everyone in the bar know when the interval is nearly over so you can return to the theatre.
For an introduction to using WONDER – the technology behind our interval experience – please click here.
What about Data Privacy?
We do not share this with third parties without your explicit permission
No other user data or interaction during the sound stage performance or interval is retained.
During intervals only people visible in your conversation can hear your conversation and chat messages can ONLY be read by the individuals or groups you choose to chat with.
Who is listening to my interval conversation?
Only guests who appear in your circle can join in with your conversation, so you can see who you are speaking to. Guests cannot to be hidden, so you always see their image, hear them and see their screen. You can always see all guests in the room.
Using the Chat function (see image below) you can send text messages to selected individuals, people in your circle or everyone in the bar! Use your power wisely!
Is the play performed and broadcast live?
Sound stage audio plays are pre-recorded, but broadcast live with a start time – if you join the broadcast late you will enter after the performance has started. This allows audiences to hear the show together, to meet each other live in the interval. And allows audiences to gather together after the show for our post show events which are live – streamed discussions with audience Q&A each night.
Can I pause the performance
No it is played as-live so the audience experience it together. The performance cannot be paused.
I am experiencing technical difficulties accessing the performance – can you help?
Yes, please email email@example.com who will be able to help you access the show.
In the unlikely event that we have a technical issue broadcasting the show we will e-mail the evening’s audience with updates.
How long is each play?
Not all shows have yet been recorded and all plays will be of different lengths but they are all 2 act plays so we expect them all to be between 90 and 120 minutes in length and every show will have an interval. Once we have confirmed run times these will be added to the show info page on each individual show's page on our website.
Will it be possible to swap my tickets between performances nearer the time?
Yes, we will offer free exchanges between performances of the same show. These will be subject to availability and should be requested a minimum of 48 hours before the performance booked or the performance you wish to move to – whichever comes first.
To request an exchange please email to firstname.lastname@example.org. With the bookers name and booking reference and the performance you would like to move your tickets to.