The Hour We Knew Nothing of Each Other
by Peter Handke, in a translation by Meredith Oakes
Director Wils Wilson
Co-Director (Movement) Janice Parker
Take a moment to watch our world go by.
Some years ago, playwright Peter Handke was sitting in a town square watching people come and go. Suddenly men carrying a coffin emerged from a house and transformed the square into
a stage, lending each vignette that followed – a woman walking her dog, a couple having an argument, a man jogging – special meaning.
Inspired by this experience, The Hour We Knew Nothing of Each Other is a play without words, narrated by music and animated by unspoken interaction. This production gives the simple pleasure of people-watching a vibrant dramatic life as the audience weave a narrative out of the everyday scenes of a city.
This 450-character production will be taking to The Lyceum stage directed by Lyceum Associate Artist Wils Wilson, in association with Janice Parker Projects. We are throwing open the doors of The Lyceum and welcoming a large scale cast of Edinburgh residents onto the stage to create this exciting production.
Would you like to appear in The Hour We Knew Nothing of Each Other?
We’re looking for a community cast of Edinburgh residents to create and perform this production. No previous experience is needed for this voluntary participation opportunity.
We need a committed and energetic group of people to form our Inner core performing company with regular attendance at rehearsals over the months of March to June 2018. We also need another group of people who will also perform on stage, our Outer Core – these people will be needed at fewer rehearsals but need to be just as enthusiastic!
If you’re interested in being part of the show please read the eligibility criteria below carefully:
Age: You must be 16 years of age or above from the date of the first introductory workshop on Friday 23 February 2018, therefore you must have been born on or before 23 February 2002.
Amateur status: This is a voluntary participation opportunity for non-professionals, we are unable to accept anyone in the company who might be considered as a professional as it would contravene union agreements. Before we can accept you into a workshop we require you to confirm you are not a professional actor, have not recently been paid to be so, have not taken voluntary performance work in the hope of securing paid work, nor will be working as a professional actor in the coming months and finally that you are not eligible to be or already are a member of Equity.
Availability: Please check that you can make all these essential dates:
- Saturday 31 March 10am-5pm Rehearsals – if you’d like to be in the Inner Core
- Saturday 7 April 10am-5pm Rehearsals – if you’d like to be in the Outer Core
- Saturday 21 April 10am-5pm Rehearsals
- Saturday 5 May 10am-5pm Rehearsals
- Saturday 19 May 10am-5pm Rehearsals
- Sunday 20 May 2-6pm Rehearsals
- Thursday 24 May 6-9pmTechnical Rehearsals
- Friday 25 May 6-9pm Technical Rehearsals
- Saturday 26 May 10am-9pm Technical Rehearsals
- Monday 28 May 6-9pm Technical Rehearsals
- Tuesday 29 May 6-9pm Technical Rehearsals
- Wednesday 30 May 6-9pm Technical Rehearsals
- Thursday 31 May 6-9pm Performance 7.30pm
- Friday 1 June 6-9pm Performance 7.30pm
- Saturday 2 June 1-9pm Performance 2pm & 7.30pm
If you meet the criteria and are available for all the essential dates, book in to one of our introductory workshops where you can find out more and meet the team:
- Friday 23 February, 6-8pm
- Sunday 4 March, 10am-12noon
- Sunday 4 March, 2-4pm
- Sunday 18 March, 10am-12noon
- Sunday 18 March, 2-4pm
Don’t let cost be a barrier – some local travel bursaries will be available to help with expenses.